Flat Rock Community Services Administrator
Regional Position for Program Sites and Residential Homes
Lorain County, Ohio
Huron in Erie County, Ohio
Bellevue in Sandusky County, Ohio
Flat Rock, Ohio in Seneca County, Ohio.
Flexible Location - Remote Position with On-site Office Space Provided
Must live within reasonable driving distance of locations for emergencies/on-site work.
The Administrator of Flat Rock Community Services is a critical member of the ministry's Senior Leadership Team, led by the President/Chief Executive Officer. This position leads Flat Rock Community Services Team.
Under the general supervision of the President/CEO, the Administrator of Flat Rock Community Services directs day-to-day aspects of the Flat Rock Community Services’ operations, including leading/directly supervising the Flat Rock Community Services Leadership Team, and all direct care and program staff (Direct Support Professionals, Supervisors, Habilitation Specialists, Non-medical Transportation Drivers, etc.). The Administrator of Flat Rock Community Services is responsible for the development, oversight, compliance, and quality of Flat Rock Community Services’ Supportive Living residential program as well as youth/adult programs, including the Adult Day Support, Non-medical Transportation, Community Integration, Vocational Training, and Employment Services programs. The Administrator ensures compliance for these programs within Medicaid’s and the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities’ rules for waiver settings and home and community-based services (HCBS); the Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities rules for programs; and provides general supervision for all services offered by Flat Rock Community Services. Because the Administrator’s role includes ensuring compliance, the position provides indirect supervision of staff who report to other supervisors regarding all matters related to compliance of the Flat Rock Community Services programs. This position shall be designated as “Director of Operations” of Flat Rock Community Services as outlined in 5123-2-08 of the Ohio Revised Code: Provider Certification of Agency Providers.
This position provides leadership to the Flat Rock Community Services Team; plans, organizes, and oversees the ongoing care and services provided to consumers with disabilities; and ensures care and services are provided to maintain health and safety. The Administrator ensures all administrative functions of Flat Rock Community Services are efficiently and accurately accomplished. The Administrator ensures all programs are appropriately marketed to consumers, families, County Boards of Developmental Disabilities, the Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities program, and other potential stakeholders to ensure the continued growth of the programs.
The Administrator of Flat Rock Community Services will ensure required records are prepared and reports for Individual Service Plans, medication audits, compliance reviews, financial reviews, and other required reports are completed. This position will ensure staff is adequately trained to provide the services they are employed to provide.
The Administrator of Flat Rock Community Services will oversee the creation and delivery of quality programs that meet needs, ensures health and safety, and enhance the lives of consumers with disabilities while maintaining compliance with the Medicaid and state rules and guidelines for all services. The Administrator will ensure and protect consumers’ rights and choices, by creating policies, procedures, guidelines, processes, and checkpoints that ensure consumers’ rights and choices are honored to the extent possible. The Administrator ensures coordination of the delivery of services as outlined in the Individual Service Plan (ISP) and will monitor and remedy Quality Assurance issues on behalf of Flat Rock Community Services.
While ensuring compliance and high quality of care, services, and programs delivered to all individuals served by Flat Rock Community Services, the Administrator will also cultivate an employee culture with high engagement leading to high levels of staff performance. The Administrator will ensure staff feel a deep sense of leadership’s gratitude for their work and will seek to keep staff engaged with our mission, vision, and strategic direction through all team efforts. This position will have a key role in generating continuing engagement by staff in this life-changing cause, growing and developing long-term, effective relationships with them. He/she will cultivate a deep understanding among our staff of the needs of the individuals that we serve and boldly challenge them to respond with a high level of performance.
While certain aspects of this role may be performed remotely, on-site office space will be provided within the region served. This position is classified as “critical,” meaning while some aspects of the work may be able to be done remotely, a substantial portion of the role must be done on-site at program sites or residential locations throughout the service area while supervising essential, on-site workers at those sites as well as other critical and some core (mostly remote) workers. As-needed travel to program sites (currently Bellevue and Flat Rock, Ohio), supportive living homes (currently Lorain County; Huron, OH; and Flat Rock, OH) will be required. Occasional travel for in-person events, meetings, conferences, pick-up/drop-off materials in counties served by Adult Programs (currently Seneca, Sandusky, Erie, Huron, Lorain, Morrow, Wyandot, Marion, Ashland, Richland, Crawford, and Knox Counties) and Northern Ohio area may be required.
The Administrator of the Flat Rock Community Services reports to the President/CEO.
The Administrator of Flat Rock Community Services will hold the following responsibilities:
- Administration of Flat Rock Community Services:
- Oversight and Compliance:
- Provides oversight for day-to-day operations of Flat Rock Community Services, ensuring quality care and services are provided to all consumers.
- Oversees the creation and delivery of quality programs that meet needs, ensure health and safety, and enhance the lives of consumers with disabilities while maintaining compliance with the Medicaid and state rules and guidelines for all services.
- Provides primary leadership in the investigation of and remedy to Major Unusual Incidents (MUIs) and allegations of abuse/neglect. Ensures documentation and reporting procedures are followed. In collaboration with the responsible Coordinator/Supervisor, oversees the investigation of injuries to consumers, known or unknown.
- As a quality assurance measure, monitors patterns/trends that could contribute to potential MUIs or Unusual Incidents (UI). Ensures follow-up on all MUIs/UIs.
- Ensures Flat Rock Community Services compliance with other local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
Administrator – Flat Rock Community Services
- Ensures and protects consumers’ rights and choices, by creating policies, procedures, guidelines, processes, and checkpoints that ensure consumers’ rights and choices are honored.
- Ensures coordination of delivery of services as outlined in the Individual Service Plan (ISP). Monitors and remedies Quality Assurance issues on behalf of Flat Rock Community Services. Advises President/CEO of any potential issues that could adversely impact quality of care.
- Develops appropriate policies and procedures for Flat Rock Community Services operations within the framework of overall Flat Rock policy. Ensures staff are aware of and trained on Flat Rock Community Services policies and procedures.
- Planning and Service Leadership: This position ensures appropriate Flat Rock Community Services collaboration as part of each consumer’s team in the consumer’s person-centered planning process.
- Oversight and Compliance:
- Marketing: Markets the Flat Rock Community Services’ programs and services, ensuring growth and sustainability. Develops/oversees relationships with County Boards of Developmental Disabilities, Service Support Administrators, Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities Counselors, consumers, parents/guardians, and other stakeholders to ensure continual marketing of services. Seeks to collaborate with stakeholders to ensure Flat Rock Community Services is viewed as a provider of creative solutions in the communities in which we serve.
- Initiating Services: Ensures response to consumer inquiries and appropriate process to begin serving new consumers.
- Planning: Ensures that Flat Rock Community Services’ vision, goals, and tactical plans are aligned with the Joint Boards of Directors’ Strategic Plan and Annual Action Plan and the vision, mission, values, and goals set by the President/CEO in collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team. Sets appropriate goals for staff based on organizational goals.
- Continually seeks innovative strategies to provide the highest quality services to Flat Rock Community Services’ consumers and improve the operations of Flat Rock Community Services.
- Seeks ways to creatively use technology, volunteers, interns, and other methods to improve consumer outcomes and quality of care and services as well as to reduce the burden on staff.
- Maximizes sustainability in Flat Rock Community Services operations, including seeking to contain costs, improve revenue, minimize waste, and reduce environmental impact.
- Leadership of Staff:
- Ensures appropriate recruitment, hiring/selection, training, supervision, recognition, and retention of Flat Rock Community Services staff. Provides direct management of the Flat Rock Community Services leadership team, including Supportive Living Residential Program Coordinators, Director of Adult Programs, and RN/Nurse Trainer.
- Ensures/provides back-up support for Supportive Living Residential Program Coordinators.
- Provides training to Flat Rock Community Services staff, other staff, parents/guardians, Board, and others to ensure compliance with local, state, and/or federal laws, rules, regulations and/or requirements.
- Consistently ensures Flat Rock Community Services staff feel a deep sense of leadership’s gratitude for their work.
- Demonstrates and fosters a high level of staff engagement with Flat Rock’s mission, vision, and strategic direction through all program efforts. This position will have a key role in generating continuing engagement by staff in this life-changing cause, growing and developing long-term, effective relationships with them.
- Working with the Flat Rock Community Services leadership team, cultivates a high performance, highly engaged culture among Flat Rock Community Services staff, aimed at reducing voluntary staff turnover and improving retention of high-performing staff.
- Leads, trains, and coaches Flat Rock Community Services leadership team and Supervisors for continued improved performance in utilizing effective human resources practices to motivate, lead, and engage staff to increasing levels of quality performance. Sets an example of effective leadership and management for the Flat Rock Community Services’ Leadership Team and Supervisors.
- Cultivates a deep understanding among staff of the needs of the individuals we serve and boldly challenges them to respond with a high level of performance.
- Continually seeks improvements in:
- Developing non-cash benefits, perquisites, incentives, and flexibility for Flat Rock Community Services’ staff in coordination with organizational benefits and policies. Works with Director of Human Resources to develop appropriate benefits and strategies for Flat Rock Community Services staff;
- Creatively positioning and marketing Flat Rock Community Services as an “Employer of Choice” for applicants;
- Recruiting to yield a pipeline of high-quality job applicants, leading to the highest quality staff available in the current labor market;
- Utilizing the best techniques, selects, hires, orients, and trains Flat Rock Community Services staff.
- Increasing onboarding success and retention, especially first-year retention;
- Seeking creative staffing patterns and workforce planning to improve recruitment, retention, and to minimize overtime load carried by Flat Rock Community Services staff;
- Communicating with staff;
- Training and coaching of staff;
- Engaging and motivating staff.
- Financial Management:
- Manages a $3M+ annual Flat Rock Community Services operating budget (as of 2022). Seeks continuous improvement in financial management for Flat Rock Community Services, including maximizing revenue opportunities and containing costs without adversely impacting quality.
- As a member of the Flat Rock Senior Leadership Team, provides input into the annual Flat Rock organizational budget process.
- Serves as a signer for relative bank accounts.
- Senior Leadership:
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, provides input and leadership to the overall Flat Rock organization. Advocates for Flat Rock Community Services operations while balancing the needs of the entire organization as the Team reaches a decision.
- Reviews, develops, revises, and recommends to the President/CEO changes in Flat Rock policies/procedures as well as suggests innovative strategic initiatives of the organization and Flat Rock Community Services.
- Actively participates, providing input to the President/CEO and Senior Leadership Team on ways to improve, revise, or add to the effectiveness of Flat Rock’s overall operations, staff development, or other areas in which Senior Leadership Team works together. Continually works with the team to improve quality of services, innovation of programs, and sustainability of the organization.
- Works collaboratively with other Senior Leadership Team members to ensure that staff under their supervision are working within Flat Rock Community Services in ways that coordinate and complement with Community Services operations and ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- May, at the discretion of the President/CEO, be asked to provide leadership to one or more areas as part of the President/CEO’s succession plan.
- May, at the discretion of the Incident Commander, be asked to provide leadership in one or more areas as part of the Emergency Preparedness Plan.
- Participates as a staff resource to the Flat Rock Ethics Committee.
- Board Relations:
- Serves as a member of the Boards’ Services Strategic Priority Work Group and as staff support/resource to the Flat Rock Community Services Board.
- Along with the Senior Leadership Team, serves as a catalyst/inspiration to Board thinking, aiding Board members in thinking and understanding policy choices/implications.
- Quarterly, or as requested by the President/CEO, provides written and oral reports, updating the Joint Boards of Directors on Flat Rock Community Services operations.
- Attends quarterly Board meetings and participates in other Board committee/workgroup meetings as requested.
- Actively participates in the Joint Boards of Directors’ strategic planning and annual action planning process.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and training programs as scheduled.
- Performs all essential duties and responsibilities of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ensures the President/CEO is informed of important issues and concerns impacting Flat Rock Community Services and other parts of Flat Rock’s overall operations.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Must be able to meet the following qualifications (as well as all other qualifications) as established in section 5123-2-08 of the Ohio Revised Code for Provider Certification of Agency Providers, including:
- Has a valid birth certificate;
- Is at least twenty-one years of age;
- Has a valid Social Security card and a valid government-issued photo identification;
- Has at least:
- One year of full-time (or equivalent amount of part-time) paid work experience in the provision of specialized services to individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities as defined; or
- Four years of experience providing care to a family member (i.e., parent, child, or sibling) with a developmental disability.
- Has at least one year of full-time (or equivalent amount of part-time) paid work experience in:
- Supervision of employees;
- Development, oversight, and/or supervision of programs or services; and
- Financial management of an organization;
- Holds either:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or
- A high school diploma or certificate of high school equivalence plus at least:
- Four years of full-time (or equivalent amount of part-time) paid work experience as a supervisor of specialized services to individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities; or
- Four years of experience providing care to a family member (i.e., parent, child, or sibling) with a developmental disability;
- Can read, write, and understand English at a level sufficient to comply with all requirements set forth in administrative rules governing the services provided by an agency provider;
- If hired, shall complete:
- Training specified in appendix A of the rule;
- Annual required training as specified in appendix A of the rule;
- If newly appointed, within thirty days of hire, the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) web-based orientation for Directors of Operations as well as DODD’s training in empathy-based care as described in Appendix A of the rule.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background investigation in accordance with rule 5123-2-02 of the Ohio Administrative Code and consent to be enrolled by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities in the Ohio Attorney General’s retained applicant fingerprint database known as Rapback.
- Must not have previously served as Administrator/CEO/Director of Operations for any agency provider within the last five years that had its provider certification revoked/not renewed.
Desired Candidate Attributes:
- A passion for communicating the stories of families and individuals whose lives have been transformed through the love of Christ and the work of Flat Rock Homes. A fierce desire to be a part of and contribute to a Christ-centered, faith-based culture;
- Commitment to serve and interact with Flat Rock’s individuals, program participants, families, guardians, donors, churches, volunteers, and guests with compassion, grace, mercy, dignity, and respect;
- The ability to initiate and build new relationships with individuals, staff, families, guardians, donors, co-workers, and volunteers;
- Well organized, diligent, and reliable in following through on commitments and assigned work;
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment where multitasking is constant;
- Proven ability to be a self-starter and to work independently;
- Occasional travel for in-person events, donor visits, pick-up/drop-off materials or gifts, meetings, conferences, and other needs mostly in Northern Ohio/Columbus area will be required.
- While the position will offer some schedule flexibility and remote work as needed, as a critical worker overseeing the work of essential workers, the Administrator will need to perform duties on-site at program locations (Bellevue, OH and Flat Rock, OH) as well as at residential sites (current locations include Lorain County; Huron, OH; and Flat Rock, OH). When working away from the office, remote connections with staff working in Flat Rock and other locations will be required. Must have reliable internet service and the ability to use technology at home;
- Must have experience using email, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft 365 or similar suite of products, and internet browsers.
- Experience with Solana software would be helpful.
- Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional nights and weekends to respond to Flat Rock Community Services emergencies on a 24-hour/7-day basis.
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team:
- Heart to serve and a head for strategy and innovation;
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of the Senior Leadership Team as well as to work cooperatively with members of the Joint Boards of Directors, including any committees and/or strategic priority workgroups;
- Strong ability to add operational perspective from Flat Rock Community Services while thinking strategically about the needs of the entire Flat Rock organization;
- Have a strong understanding of ministry organizations and the United Methodist Church;
- Maintain a professional image;
- Effectively use methods, practices, and procedures of management;
- Communicate with clarity;
- Possess high emotional and organizational intelligence with the ability to tactfully work within a team and to enthusiastically receive positive or negative constructive feedback regarding work products and performance. Regularly seeks feedback and others’ perspective that will improve the process or product;
- Cultivates a reputation for integrity, honesty, and credibility – willing to “walk the walk” (set an example);
- Ability to balance the needs of the overall organization while meeting the needs and requirements of Flat Rock Community Services.
To learn more about Flat Rock Homes, please visit our website. Remember to like us on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter. To learn more about working at Flat Rock Homes, please watch "Why We Love Working at Flat Rock Homes" now playing on YouTube.
For more information, or to apply for this position: If, after reading this Opportunity Profile, you sense that your God-given talents/gifts and experience are a good match for this position and Flat Rock Homes, we invite you to begin the inquiry process. All candidate information and conversations are handled confidentially. To help us get a more complete picture of you and your interest in this position, provide us with the following preferably in one Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) document:
- A thoughtfully prepared cover letter, including answers to the following questions:
- What is it about this position with Flat Rock Homes that attracts you?
- Flat Rock Homes’ mission statement is “…to provide outstanding services which transform the lives of persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities, their families and persons with critical needs through a dedication of caring and excellence that demonstrates Christian values.” What is your response to this mission? How would you see yourself and your work fitting into this mission statement?
- A professional resume covering your work experience and educational credentials;
Please do not be overly concerned with brevity in assembling this package of materials. While we don’t want to read volumes, we do want you to take the time to share enough meaningful information to allow us to get to know you and why you would make a strong candidate for Flat Rock Homes.