The RN/Nurse Trainer is a critical member of the Flat Rock Community Services (FRCS) team, led by the President/Chief Executive Officer, who is also the Administrator for Flat Rock Community Services.
Reports to: Administrator of Flat Rock Community Services (currently President/CEO)
- Rotates between:
- Supportive Living (group) homes (Seneca, Huron, Erie, and Lorain Counties);
- Program sites (Bellevue and Flat Rock, Ohio);
- Training locations (Bellevue, Flat Rock, and Kipton, Ohio)
- Administrative work may be performed remotely OR, if desired, on-site office space can be offered in Flat Rock, OH.
- While the position will offer some schedule flexibility and the ability to work about 25-40% of the time remotely, it is a critical position requiring some on-site work in FRCS Supportive Living (group) homes; Flat Rock Care Center; and the FRCS Adult Day Support Program sites. Must have reliable internet service and the ability to use technology at home;
- Occasional travel for meetings, events, and conferences throughout northern Ohio.
- Mileage reimbursement is provided for company-related travel.
Schedule: Salaried, generally Monday – Friday, regular office hours; however, emergency calls may be received during evenings, nights, or weekends in case of an emergency issue with a consumer (not often). In the event of an extreme emergency, on-site work may be required outside of normal office hours (would be rare and only in extreme circumstances).
- Oversees healthcare services provided to FRCS consumers with intellectual/developmental disabilities;
- Provides CPR, first aid, and medication administration training to all Flat Rock Care Center (FRCC) and Flat Rock Community Services (FRCS) staff;
- Assists in medication/other audits conducted by county Boards of Developmental Disabilities;
- Provides input to the Administrator to assist the Administrator in maintaining compliance with all Medicaid and the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities rules for waiver settings and home and community-based services (HCBS) programs provided for consumers.
Healthcare Services Coordination: Oversees healthcare services provided to consumers with intellectual/developmental disabilities by direct care staff (Direct Support Professionals, Supervisors, Coordinators, and Habilitation Specialists) in Supportive Living (group) homes and in the Adult Day Support Program.
- Ensures care is consistent with orders from the consumers’ doctor/dentist, therapists, pharmacist, or other healthcare professionals.
- Regularly visits Supportive Living (group) homes and reviews each consumer’s medical documentation, ensuring all is up to date. Alerts Administrator/Director of Supportive Living regarding concerns (i.e., orders, excess medications, expired medications, medication errors, etc.). Trains/coaches Supportive Living staff about concerns and follows up to ensure correction. Dialogs with staff about concerns regarding consumers’ health and provision of care, troubleshooting for solutions.
- Effectively communicates/coordinates with doctor’s/dentist offices; hospitals; skilled nursing, assisted living, or intermediate care facilities (including Flat Rock Care Center [FRCC]) and developmental centers; pharmacies; home health, therapy, and other ancillary providers to ensure appropriate orders, documentation, and training; facilitates admission/discharges to other facilities, etc.
- Collaborates with the Administrator, Director of Supportive Living, Director of Adult Programs, FRCS staff, the Quality Assurance Specialist, and other RN/Nurse Trainers to ensure appropriate healthcare services are provided.
- Assists with/provides input in investigations of Major Unusual Incidents (MUIs); Unusual Incidents (UIs); and/or allegations of abuse/neglect. Provides input into plans of correction, if necessary. Ensures appropriate training/coaching to staff to remedy/ resolve issues. Assists Coordinator/Supervisor or Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional (QIDP) in the investigation of any injuries if necessary.
- Provides input to assist the Administrator in maintaining compliance with all Medicaid and the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) rules for waiver settings and home and community-based services (HCBS) programs and other rules/regulations and best practices in the provision of healthcare services; local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations as applicable for the provision of medical services.
- Serves as point of contact for medication audits/other audits with county Boards of Developmental Disabilities; Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities; and/or Clearwater COG. Ensures information is provided to the auditor timely. Advises the Administrator of audit progress/outcome.
- May be asked to participate in the Continuous Quality Improvement/Quality Assurance and Safety Teams.
- Recommends appropriate policies and procedures for Administrator’s consideration for Flat Rock Community Services. May provide training on Flat Rock Community Services policies/procedures.
- Facilitates CPR (American Heart Association); First Aid; and Medication Administration training and recertification for staff. Provides skills check-off for recertifying staff for Medication Administration. Schedules classes at intervals to meet the needs of new hires/onboarding process and existing staff. Monitors staff recertification dates to ensure staff returns at an appropriate time for recertification.
- Trains, coaches, and gives feedback to address training needs of FRCS staff as identified by the Administrator, Director of Supportive Living, and/or Director of Adult Programs or by the RN/Nurse Trainer personally. May bring in outside resources to provide training on occasion and as appropriate. Ensures staff has adequate training to provide the services they were hired to provide. Helps staff troubleshoot consumer care issues.
Innovation/Sustainability: Seeks creative, innovative strategies for providing care, meeting consumer needs, and delivering training. Effectively uses technology, volunteers, interns, and other methods to improve training, outcomes, and to help augment staff. Maximizes operational sustainability by seeking to contain costs, improve revenue, minimize waste, and reduce environmental impact.
Leadership: When interacting with staff, conveys appreciation for their work. Helps the FRCS team cultivate a high-engagement employee culture with outstanding work performance and a positive work environment. Engages staff with our mission, vision, and strategic direction. Coaches and encourages staff, growing and developing long-term, effective relationships. Applies a person-centered approach to the staffing relationship. Cultivates a deep understanding of the needs of consumers and challenges them to respond with high performance. Continually works to improve the quality of medical services, innovation, and sustainability.
Other: Attends mandatory training and meetings. Performs all essential duties and responsibilities of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Ensures the President/CEO/Administrator is informed of important issues/concerns impacting Flat Rock Community Services. Other duties as assigned.
- Must meet required qualifications for RNs and/or trainers as required by Medicaid and/or the Ohio DODD.
- Must have:
- Active RN license in the state of Ohio;
- One year of full-time (or equivalent amount of part-time) or more paid work experience as an RN (experience with individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities preferred);
- One year of full-time or more paid work experience in the supervision of staff.
- Ability to read, write, and understand English at a level sufficient to comply with all requirements set forth in administrative rules governing the services provided by an agency provider;
- Must be able to successfully pass a background investigation in accordance with rule 5123-2-02 of the Ohio Administrative Code and consent to be enrolled by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities in the Ohio Attorney General’s retained applicant fingerprint database known as Rapback. Must not have previously served as Administrator/CEO/Director of Operations for any agency provider within the last five years that had its provider certification revoked/not renewed.
- A bachelor’s degree in nursing;
- Ability to read, write, and understand Spanish;
- Ability to use American Sign language.
Desired Candidate Attributes:
- A passion for serving families and individuals, helping them to experience life transformation through the love of Christ and the work of Flat Rock Homes. A fierce desire to be a part of and contribute to a Christ-centered, faith-based culture;
- Commitment to serve consumers and interact with families, guardians, donors, churches, volunteers and guests, co-workers, and others with compassion, grace, mercy, dignity, and respect;
- The ability to initiate and build new relationships with consumers, staff, families, guardians, co-workers, volunteers, and external stakeholders;
- Well-organized, diligent, and dependable with great follow-through;
- Proven ability to be a self-starter and to work independently;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others;
- Maintain a professional image;
- Communicate with clarity and in a way that creates a positive and engaging environment;
- Possesses high emotional and organizational intelligence with the ability to tactfully work within a team and to enthusiastically receive positive or negative constructive feedback regarding work products and performance. Regularly seeks feedback and others’ perspective to improve processes;
- Cultivates a reputation for integrity, honesty, and credibility – willing to “walk the walk” (set an example);
- Must be proficient at using email, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft 365 or a similar suite of products, and internet browsers.
For more information, or to apply for this position:
Submit a resume to:
Tami Cummings, Director – Human Resources
In the subject line, please type: “RN/Nurse Trainer – Flat Rock Community Services.”
To learn more about working at Flat Rock Homes, please watch "Why We Love Working at Flat Rock Homes" now playing on YouTube.